The ecological gardener : how to create beauty and biodiversity from the soil up / Matt Rees-Warren.
"Transform your garden into a self-sustaining haven for nature and wildlife. Ecological garden designer Matt Rees-Warren shares inspirational design ideas and practical projects to help you create a garden that is both beautiful today and sustainable tomorrow. The Ecological Gardener will give you the tools to create an abundant garden from the soil up - a garden that welcomes birds and bees and showcases native planting and wild flowers, with minimal carbon impact or need for fresh water. It includes practical projects, from rainwater harvesting to vermicomposting, laying a hedgerow to turning your lawn into a wildflower meadow. Matt will help you reimagine how you garden, working with nature instead of controlling it, to create a space that promotes both wildlife and beauty. Design a garden for the future - because what we do as individual gardeners matters"-- Provided by publisher.
- ISBN: 9781645020073
- ISBN: 164502007X
- Physical Description: 215 pages : color illustrations ; 25 cm
- Publisher: White River Junction, VT : Chelsea Green Publishing, 
- Copyright: ©2021.
|Bibliography, etc. Note:||
Includes bibliographical references (pages -206) and index.
|Formatted Contents Note:||
1. Design: The Soil Test -- The Water Test -- Creating Outline Drawings -- Marking Out a Path -- 2. Soil: The 'Diamond' Compost Bay System -- Making and Using a Bokashi Bin -- Brewing Compost Tea -- The 'Open-Pit' Biochar Method -- Building a Vermicompost Stack-House -- 3. Plants: Turning a Lawn into a Wildflower Meadow -- Planting a Native Country Hedgerow -- Laying a Hedgerow -- Collecting Seed -- Taking Cuttings -- Dividing Plants -- 4. Water: Fitting a Whisky-Barrel Rain Collector -- Starting a Rain Garden -- Making a Bathtub Reed Bed -- Building a Keyhole Garden -- Creating a Hessian-Sack Vertical Garden -- 5. Wildlife: Building a Pallet Bug Palace -- Creating a Natural Clay-Lined Pond -- Making a Raised Nettle Bed -- 6. Materials: Coppicing a Hazel -- Sharpening a Blade with a Waterstone -- Using Hessian Wraps for Plants -- Upcycling Tin Cans for Pots -- Making Mud Mortars.
Search for related items by subject
Gardening > Environmental aspects.
- 8 of 9 copies available at NC Cardinal. (Show)
- 0 of 1 copy available at Fontana Regional Library.
- 0 current holds with 9 total copies.